Nowadays, digitization is all around us and is moving further and further into a wide variety of areas (including transportation, smart home, eHealth and knowledge transfer). Due to the enormous data exchange, the question arises whether the available resources (bandwidth, data formats, radio standards) are still adequate. This is particularly questionable in the field of aviation, where a lot of data has to be produced, evaluated and distributed in a very short time, and this data is usually very sensitive, sometimes involving critical actions. In the case of safety- related actions protection from unauthorized access, misuse, and manipulation is absolutely essential. Various statistics show that the systems used in aviation are very interesting for cyber-attacks and the collected or exchanged data are mostly inadequately secured.
Thus, YOU are needed to inverstigate secure communication in aeronautic! Not yet convinced, check out the following publications from us:
- N.Mäurer, T.Gräupl, C. Gentsch, C.Schmitt: Comparing Different Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange Flavors for LDACS. 9th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, San Antonio, TX, USA, October 2020 - Best Paper Award in Track Cyber Security and Software (CSS) and Best Paper Award in Session Cybersecurity (CSS-3)
- N.Mäurer, T.Gräupl, C.Schmitt: L-band Digital Aeronautical Communications System (LDACS). IETF Internet Draft, Informational Draft, Fremont, CA, USA, Version 05, draft-ietf-raw-ldacs-05, November 1, 2020
- C.Perner, C.Schmitt: Security Concept for Unoccupied Aerial Systems. 9th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, San Antonio, TX, USA, October 2020
- C.Perner, C.Schmitt, G.Carle: Dynamic Network Reconfiguration in Safety-Critical Aeronautical Systems. 39th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, San Antonio, TX, USA, October 2020
- N.Mäurer, T.Gräupl, C. Schmitt: Evaluation of the LDACS Cybersecurity Implementation. IEEE 38th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DACS), San Diego, CA, USA, September, 2019 - Best Paper Award in Session Secure Communication (CSS-3)
- N.Mäurer, C. Schmitt: Towards Successful Realization of the LDACS Cybersecurity Architecture: An Updated Datalink Security Threat- and Risk Analysis. Integrated Communications, Navigation and Surveillance Conference (ICNS), IEEE, Washington, DC, USA, April 2019 - 1st Place - Best Professional Paper Competition
- N.Mäurer, T.Gräupl, C. Schmitt: FACTS2: Framework for Aeronautical Communications and Traffic Simulations 2. 22nd ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM), Miami Beach, FL, USA, November 25-29, 2019
To join us, check out the job offer "Cyber Security for Aeronautical Communication" from the DLR.